Special Assistance for Federal Employees (S.A.F.E.)
In the event of a Federal Government shutdown, we recognize that many individuals may experience a temporary financial hardship due to a disruption in pay. To support members who are impacted, the NIHFCU is offering a Special Assistance for Federal Employees (S.A.F.E.) program. All Federal Government employees that experience a disruption in pay are eligible.***
S.A.F.E. Closed-End Loan1
Borrow up to $10,000 for 24 months2
0% APR for the first 60 days
- then -
as low as 3.99% APR for the balance of the loan term
Check back here for loan application details in the event of a Federal Government shutdown.
* The following NIHFCU branches will be open during the Federal Government Shutdown: NIH Clinical Center, Rockville Metro Plaza, 2200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. and Sibley Hospital. All other NIHFCU branches will be closed.
Other Assistance Available:
- Consumer Loan Payment Vacations3 Skip a maximum of 1 payment after 11 consecutive on-time payments, on NIHFCU auto and signature loans. Visit the Payment Vacation page for more information.
- Certificate Early Withdrawal Penalty Waiver - To help you quickly re-allocate funds for other needs, you can withdraw from your NIHFCU certificate without NIHFCU’s early withdrawal penalty. View details.
- Overdraft Fees - NIHFCU will reverse qualified overdraft fees resulting from a temporary disruption in pay.
- NIHFCU Loan Payments: Contact our Loss Mitigation Department at 301.296.2540 or email us if you will be experiencing a delay in paying any NIHFCU loan.
- Complimentary Financial Counseling offered by BALANCE: Speak confidentially to a Certified Financial Counselor at 888.456.2227.
***Subject to membership qualification.
1 SAFE loan proceeds will be disbursed only if/when the borrower experiences a financial hardship, which means there is an actual decrease in the borrower's normal paycheck, or there is no paycheck, as a result of a Federal Government shutdown. If no SAFE loan funds are disbursed, the member may want to consider applying for one of the credit union's other loan products, such as an unsecured signature loan, which will be subject to the NIHFCU normal underwriting and terms.
2 APR = Annual Percentage Rate. Loan decisions are based on creditworthiness, with rates and terms subject to change without notice. Restrictions may apply. Advertised APR includes 0.50% rate reduction for auto-pay on this loan. For example a $10,000 loan for 24 months with 0% interest for 60 days at a 3.99% APR for the remainder of the term would result in 24 monthly payments of $434.20 each. Payments are due every month. The first two payments will be applied to principal only.
3 Offer subject to change without notice. Certain restrictions apply. In order to participate in the Payment Vacation program, you must have made at least 11 consecutive monthly payments, on-time, prior to your request. All "skipped" payments must be repaid by the end of the loan term. This program is only available for Auto & Signature Loans, once every 12 months.