Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA)
It's never too early to start saving for retirement. NIH Federal Credit Union offers IRA Savings and Certificate1
options to support your long-term financial goals. You can opt for Traditional IRAs which gives immediate tax deduction for your yearly deposit or Roth IRA, which offers tax-free withdrawals on earnings.
|Premier IRA Savings Account
A perfect option for members who want to build their IRA contributions through payroll deductions or wish to roll over retirement savings from another plan either temporarily or for a longer period of time.
Premier IRA Savings Account Details:
- Open an account with as little as $25.
- Enjoy a tiered rate structure - the more you save, the more you earn.
- Available as either a Traditional IRA or as a Roth IRA.
- Contribute as often as you wish - contribute through payroll deductions. Annual contribution limits may apply - consult your tax advisor.
- Insured up to $500,000.
- See Rates
|IRA Certificate Accounts
NIHFCU offers high-yield Traditional and Roth IRA Certificates that may be great additions to your overall retirement plan.
IRA (Traditional & Roth) Certificate Account Details:
- Open a certificate with as low as $500. Higher rates available for certificates opened with a minimum of $10,000.
- Lock in a guaranteed rate of return for a variety of terms between 3 - 60 months.
- All certificates are available as either Traditional IRA or as Roth IRAs - except our 12 month Jumbo certificate.
- One NIHFCU penalty-free withdrawal on all IRA certificates.2
- No charge maintenance or administrative fees.
- Insured up to $500,000.
- See Rates
Make additional deposits into your existing certificate, as often as you would like. Available for a term of 15 months. Requires a $500 initial deposit ($10,000+ earns a higher rate). Must be requested via a Certificate Request form.
Increase your certificate rate if rates rise. This is available one time during the certificate term. Available on 15 month term (one  bump-up allowed) and on 30 month term (two  bump-ups allowed). Must be requested via a Bump-Up form; NIHFCU will not make automatic increases.
|Additional Free Features to help you keep in touch with your money
||Stay in touch with your money from anywhere in the world, anytime using any of our latest technologies.
- Online Banking: Check balances, transfer funds, pay bills online, get balance alerts and more in real time, any time.
- Check View: View digital copies of cleared checks online.
- e-Statements: Get your monthly statement delivered electronically.
- FinanceWorks: Your personal money management assistant.
||Real answers from real people – all day, everyday by calling us toll-free at 800.877.6440.
||Automated round-the-clock phone access to your accounts by calling 800.900.0644.
||More than 4,000+ shared branches nationwide - it's like having an NIHFCU branch everywhere you go - with no service charges. Learn more.
Not a Member?
Still have questions?
|Ready to Become a Member
|NIH Federal Credit Union offers membership to those that are in the biomedical and healthcare industry. When you become a member of the NIHFCU, you are immediately eligible to enjoy financial opportunities and privileges that save both time and money. Membership is a benefit that you can share with your family by sponsoring them to have a membership with NIHFCU.
1 NIHFCU does not provide tax advice. Consult your tax advisor for eligibility, contribution guidelines, and tax considerations.
2 NIHFCU will not impose a penalty for early withdrawal once during the certificate term. However, those penalties imposed by the IRS still apply. Consult your tax advisor.
NIHFCU accounts are federally insured up to at least $250,000 by the National Credit Union Administration, a United States government agency. IRAs are insured separately up to $250,000. For additional details, click here.